Friday, January 21, 2011

Test First - Lesson Later

Life is the only school where the test comes first and then we learn the lesson. A friend shared this thought with me, and I have been pondering on it in light of the events of the past three months.

The test: I awoke the morning of November 11, 2010 with very little vision in my right eye. The opthomologist determined I suffered a stroke of the eye. A blood vessel to the center of the retina had plugged. There was nothing that could be done to reverse the damage. Just take pressure drops and aspirin. I asked if there was any chance my eye could get better, and the doctor said he knew of it to happen in very rare instances. In other words, it might, but don't plan on it. So began a new phase of my life as I adjusted to being a 'one-eyed' person. I asked people to pray for me, my name was added to the temple praye list, medical advice came from family and friends. My initial reaction was surprise, then shock, then sadness As all the intense feelings ebbed and flowed,I began to appreciate my left eye. Each morning upon awakening, I'd take a peek out of my left eye first. Gratitude and joy filled my soul because I still had vision in one eye. It was actually exciting. I could see! I was not totally blind! I was decidedly more grateful for one eye than I ever had been for two eyes. Lesson learned: Don't take things for granted. 'See' blessings each day. Develop an attitude of gratitude. Express gratitude often.

1 comment:

  1. I am so happy and grateful for you to have your full vision back!!!! It is a miracle :)

    ReplyDelete