Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Boston Bootcamp - Part Seven






Wednesday, July 14th, found us at Newport, Rhode Island. We toured 4 of the famous mansions fro.m the gilded age. That means there was no income tax back then, so people could get filthy rich. I won't mention any names. You should look them up. It was totally opulent to the point of disgust, and these people only lived in them as 'summer' homes for around 8 weeks a year!
The drive along Ocean Drive was incredibly beautiful with large waves breaking on the rocky coast. We also saw Fort Adams, one of the many forts built along the eastern coastline and manned with canons for protection. With fear and trepidation I headed back to Boston and the heat and stairs. Amazingly enough, the outside stairs to be Brownstone had been demolished. They each were about a foot high and I suggested using a pulley and rope to help people get up them. With fear and trembling, I grabbed my suitcase and marched up the back Brownstone stairs with hardly a huff or puff. The next morning, I grabbed the suitcase and ran (well, kind of) down the stairs to meet my ride to the airport. My knees did not hurt. I did not wheeze or huff or puff. Could this experience possibly have been to the benefit of my health? Can life get any better than this?

No comments:

Post a Comment